What is a General Price List?
During the process of planning a funeral, you might come across the phrase “General Price List.” A General Price List (GPL) is a short, one-page sheet that includes all of the costs associated with the funeral or cremation services you are considering. In addition to a rundown of all the services, a general price list might also include packages that bundle together services for more affordable options. The main purpose of a GPL is to help patrons make informed decisions by providing them with a transparent list of all of the costs so that there are no surprises.
Because funeral and cremation services can be sensitive to discuss, especially if someone is currently going through the grieving process, a General Price List helps provide patrons with a comprehensive guide of information they need to make important decisions surrounding their loss.
When reviewing a GPL, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
What Services Does the General Price List Typically Include?
A GPL must include specific, itemized information, including costs associated with:
- Embalming and preparation of the body
- Containers other than urns (i.e., jewelry, stones, etc.)
- Fees associated with professional services
- Caskets and burial container costs
- Forwarding or sending remains to someone
- Direct cremation
- Immediate burial
- Services associated with the funeral director and staff members
- Transporting the body to the funeral home
- Reserving the facility or facilities for viewings, memorials, and other ceremonies/services
- Devices and equipment involved in graveyard services
- Transportation costs (like limousine and hearse use)
The above list probably seems overwhelming to someone who has never preplanned for a funeral before. However, the funeral director must not only present the GPL to the person planning a funeral, but they must also make sure that all standards are being met in the process so they are compliant with the FTC standards.The General Price List provides clarity for patrons during a time when everything can seem confusing.
What Services Are Included in Cremation and Burial Packages?
The one thing that varies in a GPL is the set of packages that the funeral home offers. And, just as every funeral home will have different prices, they will also have different packages to offer patrons.
However, some common package items include the following:
The immediate burial option is just as it sounds–-the family opts for the body to forgo a traditional viewing and other services, and chooses to immediately bury the body at a respective location.
Immediate burial services often package these services together:
- Transporting the deceased to the facility or crematory (costs of transit and staff)
- Securing the death certificate
- The container for the body (also known as a casket or coffin)
- The actual burial or interment of the body (the act of the body being buried)
Just as immediate burials avoid traditional viewings of the body, so does direct cremation, which involves the cremation of the body immediately after expiration.
Direct cremation services within general price list packages often include:
- Securing the death certificate
- Services from the staff and funeral director at the crematory
- Transporting the deceased to the crematory
- Placement of the remains in the urn or container
Remember that as a patron or customer, you are entitled to view a General Price List and to review the costs associated with burial or cremation before making a decision. It’s not only a human right, but it’s a law. Opal Cremation wants to equip family and friends with all of the information they need to make financially and emotionally sound decisions regarding end-of-life services for a loved one. You can review Opal Cremation’s General Price List, or reach out to us at [email protected].
Do you have more questions about the cremation and funeral arrangement process? We’ve got answers. Opal Cremation of Southern California can walk you through expectations and how to start making a plan, step-by-step. Compassionate professionals are eagerly awaiting your call and will provide you with all of the information you need about Opal Cremation services. Contact us today!